This past weekend, we held our annual Spirit Day rally for the grade 7 students of the Archdiocese of Vancouver. Themed “Almighty”, it was our biggest Spirit Day ever with 2,100 youth and adult participants converging at the Chandos Pattison Auditorium in Surrey over the weekend.
We’ve been very deliberate, intentional, and strategic in our Spirit Day planning since its inception in 2005. In some respects it has become the “piece de resistance” of our Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry given its size, scope, and impact.
There are so many elements to the event that remind me of why I serve in youth ministry and how blessed I am to serve in the Archdiocese of Vancouver. For instance:
- When I see the joy and hope in the faces of the grade 7 students…a true spirit of wonder, awe, and excitement to be there – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
- When the manager of the venue affirms us (with tears welling up in her eyes) by stating that she wished she had events like these when she was a grade 7 student – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
- When our final tally shows 175 volunteers for the weekend with a large percentage of them being past Spirit Day attendees who want to give back – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
- When young adults write an intelligent and entertaining script that springs to life on stage via the Stage Team complete with costumes, choreography, and genuine emotion – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
- When members of the Logistics Team stand outside all day in the cold rain just to make the experience a tad more enjoyable for the participants – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
- When our Spirit Team superheroes are hoarse and dog-tired because of 2 days of screaming, shouting, playing and singing – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
- When a parent I’ve known for 13 years thanks us for the opportunities we’ve given her kids and tells me that I literally saved one of her children by my witness and invitation – I’m reminded of why I serve in youth ministry.
I know that is sounds like I’m bragging. In fact, I probably am.
But I give all the glory, praise and honour to God. For through Him, with Him, and in Him, all things are possible.
He is Almighty indeed.